Jacob: Discerning God’s Presence
Logos Bible Software 2013
This is the $19.95 version for individuals and group members. The complete church curriculum for leaders and pastors is available here for $84.95. This version of Jacob: Discerning God’s Presence is a book featuring infographics, maps,thought-provoking questions, “writable” answer boxes, Bible study tips, an annotated reading list, and printable handouts. The complete church curriculum for leaders and pastors includes everything in the individual/group member version plus videos, small-group lesson plans, sermon outlines, and teaching slideshows.
Jacob: Discerning God’s Presence helps you dig deeper into the life of Jacob. It has everything you need for your personal study, but it’s best used in conjunction with the complete church curriculum.
It's the Best Curriculum for Churches
Discover new meaning in the life of Jacob. Dig up the nuggets you might have missed. Discuss questions you’ve never thought to ask. Infuse your sermons with energy and conviction. Learn new ways to apply Jacob’s story in your life.
Get connected with others in your church. Jacob: Discerning God’s Presence is perfect for small groups, and it’s best used in conjunction with the complete curriculum package for your entire church. The topics in each small group Bible study integrate with your pastor’s sermons. Everything is centered on the Word, so you get a complete, shared Bible study experience with your entire church.
The entire program is designed for Logos Bible Software and Logos’ Faithlife Study Bible app. It combines text and visuals with today’s most advanced Bible study tools. All Scripture passages link to your favorite Bible translation and to the original language texts in your library.
Praise for the Series
Logos has taken group Bible study to the next level with their new Studies in Faithful Living series. Deeply engaging, biblically accurate, and filled with life-changing applications, this series is destined to be the go-to resource for lay leaders for years to come.
—Israel Loken, Chair, Bible and Theology Departments, College of Biblical Studies, Houston, TX
Each chapter of Jacob: Discerning God’s Presence is structured to maximize your study:
- Setting the Stage:
- Theme: Introduces the meaning and relevance of an event in Abraham’s life
- Literary Context: Illustrates the conditions surrounding that event
- Historical and Cultural Background: Presents relevant data about the ancient world
- A Closer Look: Gives a walk-through of the event while exploring issues of interpretation, original language, and theology
- Throughout the Bible: Examines discussion of the event elsewhere in the Bible
- Beyond the Bible: Treats references to the event in ancient documents and extracanonical texts and references and by theologians, the church fathers, and contemporary thinkers
- Application: Concludes the chapter by exploring the event’s relevance to your journey of faith
You’ll also find Quick Tips on difficult passages and Quick Bits of historical information, original language wording, and ancient thought.
- Passing on the Promise (Genesis 24; 25:19–28)
- Birthright and Blessing (Genesis 25:29–34; 27:1–41)
- Dreaming of the Divine (Genesis 27: 42–46; 28:1–5, 10–22)
- Hired Help (Genesis 29:1–35; 30:1–24)
- Dueling Deceivers (Genesis 30:25–43; 31:1–55)
- Pleading for Protection (Genesis 32:1–32; 33:1–20)
- A Failed Father (Genesis 34:1–31)
- Renamed and Renewed (Genesis 35:1–29)
About the Editor
John D. Barry is the publisher for Logos Bible Software, editor-in-chief of Bible Study Magazine, general editor of Faithlife Study Bible, and editor of Lexham Bible Dictionary. He is the author of The Resurrected Servant in Isaiah and the coauthor of Connect the Testaments: A Daily Devotional and Mary: Devoted to God’s Plan.
About the Authors
Derek R. Brown is a contributing editor at Logos Bible Software. He holds a PhD in New Testament Studies and Christian Origins from the University of Edinburgh and a Masters of Christians Studies in New Testament Studies from Regent College.
Miles Custis is the author of The End of the Matter: Understanding the Epilogue of Ecclesiastes, a Faithlife Study Bible contributing editor, and a regular Bible Study Magazine and Lexham Bible Dictionary contributor. He holds a Master of Arts in Biblical Studies from Trinity Western University.
Douglas Mangum is a PhD candidate in Near Eastern studies at the University of Free State; he holds a Master of Arts in Hebrew and Semitic Studies from the University of Wisconsin–Madison. He is a Lexham English Bible editor, a Faithlife Study Bible contributing editor, a regular Bible Study Magazine contributor, and a frequently consulted specialist for the Lexham Bible Dictionary.
Wendy Widder holds a PhD in Near Eastern studies from the University of the Free State, an MA in Hebrew and Semitic Studies from the University of Wisconsin–Madison, and an MDiv from Grand Rapids Theological Seminary. She is the author of Living Whole without a Better Half, A Match Made in Heaven: How Singles and the Church Can Live Happily After, and the coauthor of The Forest and the Trees: Helping Teachers Integrate a Biblical Worldview Across the Curriculum.
About the Series
The Studies in Faithful Living series examines the lives of biblical characters who responded faithfully to God’s call. Combining narrative analysis with infographics, maps, and questions for reflection, each volume explores key events in these characters’ lives, combining the depth you expect from a biblical commentary with application and teaching insights. Each volume is available as an individual/group member version or as a complete church curriculum version for pastors/teachers.
- Title: Jacob: Discerning God’s Presence
- Authors: Derek R. Brown, Miles Custis, Douglas Mangum, and Wendy Widder
- Editor: John D. Barry
- Series: Studies in Faithful Living
- Publisher: Logos Bible Software
- Publication Date: 2013