Abraham: Following God’s Promise
Logos Bible Software 2012
This is the $19.95 version for individuals and group members. The complete church curriculum for leaders and pastors is available here for $84.95. The $19.95 version of Abraham: Following God’s Promise is a book featuring infographics, maps, artifact images, thought-provoking questions, “writable” answer boxes, Bible study tips, an annotated reading list, and printable handouts. The complete church curriculum for leaders and pastors includes everything in the individual/group member version plus videos, small-group lesson plans, sermon outlines, and teaching slideshows.
Abraham: Following God’s Promise helps you dig deeper into the life of Abraham. It has everything you need for your personal study, but it’s best used in conjunction with the complete church curriculum.
It's the Best Curriculum for Churches
Discover new meaning in the life of Abraham. Dig up the nuggets you might have missed. Discuss questions you’ve never thought to ask. Infuse your sermons with energy and conviction. Learn new ways to apply Abraham’s story in your life.
Get connected with others in your church. Abraham: Following God’s Promise is perfect for small groups, and it’s best used in conjunction with the complete curriculum package for your entire church. The topics in each small group Bible study integrate with your pastor’s sermons. Everything is centered on the Word, so you get a complete, shared Bible study experience with your entire church.
The entire program is designed for Logos Bible Software and Logos’ Faithlife Study Bible app. It combines text and visuals with today’s most advanced Bible study tools. All Scripture passages link to your favorite Bible translation and to the original language texts in your library.
Praise for the Series
Logos has taken group Bible study to the next level with their new Studies in Faithful Living series. Deeply engaging, biblically accurate, and filled with life-changing applications, this series is destined to be the go-to resource for lay leaders for years to come.
—Israel Loken, Chair, Bible and Theology Departments, College of Biblical Studies, Houston, TX
Each chapter of Abraham: Following God’s Promise is structured to maximize your study:
- Setting the Stage:
- Theme: Introduces the meaning and relevance of an event in Abraham’s life
- Literary Context: Illustrates the conditions surrounding that event
- Historical and Cultural Background: Presents relevant data about the ancient world
- A Closer Look: Gives a walk-through of the event while exploring issues of interpretation, original language, and theology
- Throughout the Bible: Examines discussion of the event elsewhere in the Bible
- Beyond the Bible: Treats references to the event in ancient documents and extracanonical texts and references and by theologians, the church fathers, and contemporary thinkers
- Application: Concludes the chapter by exploring the event’s relevance to your journey of faith
You’ll also find Quick Tips on difficult passages and Quick Bits of historical information, original language wording, and ancient thought.
- Stepping Out in Faith (Genesis 11:27–12:9)
- Fear versus Faith (Genesis 12:10–20)
- Active Faith (Genesis 14:1–24)
- Dealing with Doubt (Genesis 15:1–21; 16:1–15)
- Promising the Impossible (Genesis 17:1–18:15)
- Bargaining with God (Genesis 18:16–33; 19:1–38)
- God’s Faithfulness Despite Relapse (Genesis 20:1–18; 21:22–34)
- Of Sons and Sacrifice (Genesis 21:1–21; 22:1–24)
About the Editor and Coauthor
Michael R. Grigoni is the Faithlife Study Bible theological editor, the Studies in Faithful Living series editor, and Logos Bible Software’s managing editor of Bible reference. He holds a Master of Theological Studies from Harvard Divinity School. Previously, Michael has served as a trained hospital chaplain, assisted in pastoring, and led worship for large congregations.
About the Authors
Miles Custis is the author of The End of the Matter: Understanding the Epilogue of Ecclesiastes, a Faithlife Study Bible contributing editor, and a regular Bible Study Magazine and Lexham Bible Dictionary contributor. He holds a Master of Arts in Biblical Studies from Trinity Western University.
Douglas Mangum is a PhD candidate in Near Eastern studies at the University of Free State; he holds a Master of Arts in Hebrew and Semitic Studies from the University of Wisconsin–Madison. He is a Lexham English Bible editor, a Faithlife Study Bible contributing editor, a regular Bible Study Magazine contributor, and a frequently consulted specialist for the Lexham Bible Dictionary.
Matthew M. Whitehead has served as a Faithlife Study Bible contributing editor and Bible Study Magazine contributor. He assisted with the digitization process for the Discoveries in the Judaean Desert series and worked on the Oxford Hebrew Bible project. Matthew holds an MDiv from Northwest Baptist Seminary and is pursuing an MA in biblical studies at Trinity Western University.
About the Series
The Studies in Faithful Living series examines the lives of biblical characters who responded faithfully to God’s call. Combining narrative analysis with infographics, maps, and questions for reflection, each volume explores key events in these characters’ lives, combining the depth you expect from a biblical commentary with application and teaching insights. Each volume is available as an individual/group member version or as a complete church curriculum version for pastors/teachers.
- Title: Abraham: Following God’s Promise
- Authors: Miles Custis, Michael R. Grigoni, Douglas Mangum, and Matthew M. Whitehead
- Editor: Michael R. Grigoni
- Series: Studies in Faithful Living
- Publisher: Logos Bible Software
- Publication Date: 2012