Catholic Practicum: Learn to Use Logos Bible Software
Catholic Practicum is a comprehensive, computer-based video course designed for quick and effective instruction in the functions of Logos and in techniques for their use. Whether you are new to Logos or an experienced user, Practicum provides you with important insights and tips concerning how to use Logos within a Catholic Scripture study methodology. You’ll see Logos experts in action, so you learn not only what Logos’ tools can do, but also how to use them. By the end of the series you will be using Logos like a pro!
Having trouble viewing? Download the video in Quicktime: LogosVideoTools.zip (31.6 MB)
- Over seven hours of instruction
- Extensive coverage of Logos 5 functionality, tools, and techniques
- Instruction in Logos research methodologies from a Catholic perspective
- Original language instruction designed for those with a limited knowledge of Greek or Hebrew
- High-definition video lets you pause, playback, and review, allowing you to set your own pace
- Unit 1
- Start using Logos today. Unit 1 explains the homepage, the workspace functions, the basics of the passage and exegetical guides, how to prioritize items in your library, how to use the GO box, and more.
- Unit 2
- The second unit walks you through the functions of the software in-depth, from searching your library to the construction of custom layouts. It covers tagging, collections, the passage guide and the construction of custom guides, notes, clippings, and much more. This unit will teach you how to set up work spaces designed for different types of research, such as lectionary-based study or the reading of the Church Fathers. By the end of Unit 2, you’ll master advanced Logos functions, taking control of your vast library.
- Unit 3
- The third unit builds on Unit 2, but focuses on original language work. It covers the interlinear and reverse interlinear Bibles, the exegetical guide, Bible word studies, morphological searching and much more. Special emphasis is placed on using Logos’ language functionality to situate the original texts within the context of the Septuagint and the writings of the Apostolic Fathers. By the end of Unit 3, you will have a handle on Logos’ language capabilities and will understand how to use them, even if you have no Greek or Hebrew training.
- Unit 4
- The fourth unit focuses on advanced research techniques and ties the first three units together. It is organized around several large example studies, each one focusing on a different dimension of Catholic research, from the four senses of Scripture to the historical-critical method. You will harness even more of the software’s abilities, and advance your study of the Faith. By the end of Unit 4, you will be a Logos expert!
Benefits for Your Study
Whether you are studying for your own spiritual enrichment, preparing to lead a Bible study, or writing a homily, Catholic Practicum can bring competence and confidence in your study using Logos Bible Software. These videos will extend your range. They will teach you new skills. Go beyond your English translations with Logos Bible Software. Pause lessons, review previous material, and move on to the next lesson at your convenience.
Real Work with Real Tools
Logos has received a number of requests to create tools that are task oriented and will work in tandem with the content we provide. For years we have taught people how to use Logos Bible Software. Now we are teaching people how use it to accomplish real work in word studies, language studies, sermon preparation, and so forth. We are embarking on a long range project to teach people how to use the power of Logos Bible Software to extend their abilities. This is empowering. This allows the user to accomplish tasks previously possible for only the experts. Many will never have the opportunity to go to seminary or graduate school. Logos brings education to you where you are.
- Title: Catholic Practicum
- Instructors: Andrew Jones and Louis St. Hilaire
- Over seven hours of content taught using Logos 5.
- Format: Videos come on 2 DVD-ROMs. The DVDs are designed for your computer and will not play in a normal DVD player. The videos are formatted in h.264 (HD) and optimized for Quicktime 7, Quicktime X and Windows Media Player 12. These videos are not designed for use on the iPhone or iPad.
- A web-like user interface is included.
- Leave the content on the DVD, or copy it to your hard drive.
- All videos have chapter markers, so you can easily navigate to the exact spot you need.
- Verbum Basic Library is the minimum requirement for Catholic Practicum. However, Verbum Master Library is the package used by the instructors and is recommended.
- Publisher: Logos Bible Software
- Publication Date: 2012
About the Instructors
Andrew Jones is an ecclesiastical historian who taught at Saint Louis University before becoming Catholic Products Manager at Logos. He specializes in medieval religion and is currently finishing a PhD dissertation on thirteenth-century political theology.
Louis St. Hilaire is Patristics Product Manager at Logos. He studied Mathematics at Franciscan University at Steubenville and has research interests in the Greek and Latin Church Fathers.