Look Up Background Information with Custom Collections
In this tutorial, we'll set up a special collection for researching historical and contextual background information about passages. If you haven't already gone through the Creating Dynamic Collections and Basics of Searching trainings; you may want to start there first.
Setting Up your Custom Collection
To begin, let's build a collection with our favorite background information resources.
- Go to Tools and select Collections.
- A new "Unnamed Collection" will be created automatically.
- Change the title to "Book Background" or something similar.
- Click in the "Start with" field and begin to search for resources. Try:
- "Study Bible"
- As you find resources you like, drag them into the "Plus these resources" area.
When you've got a few resources you like, simply close the Collections panel. Logos will save it automatically and you can always return to it by going back to Tools > Collections and choosing "Open."
Searching your Custom Collection
Now, let's use our Collection in a Basic Search.
- Open the Search panel.
- Set the search type to "Basic."
- Select your collection (e.g. "Book Background") from the second drop-down menu.
This limits our search to only books in this collection.
- (Optional) Click the first drop-down menu and choose your search fields.
Want to search by Headings, Topics and Sections? Choose "Heading Text" and "Large Text."
- Enter a topic, like "John" (the Book or person) and press Enter.
You should get results from your collection about the topic you entered. If you selected the "Heading Text" and "Large Text" search fields, your results will be limited to when "John" is in a heading, so you don't get extra results for every time John is mentioned.