Will Logos run on a tablet (or smartphone)?
Yes – but the mobile app ("Logos Bible" or "Bible!" in the App Store) won’t be exactly the same as running Logos 5 on a desktop or laptop computer. The Logos Bible app (for iOS or Android) will perform many of the most important functions you need for Bible study, but it’s light and portable by design, so it does have some limitations.
|Access to your full Library*|
|Add Notes, Highlights, and Reading Plans|
|Search your entire Library**|
|Bible Word Study**|
|Advanced Search functions|
|Open multiple resources and save Layouts|
|Sermon Starter and Topic Guide|
|Full offline functionality|
|Many more features|
* Due to licensing restrictions with some publishers, a small minority of Logos resources are not available on a mobile platform.
** Requires internet connection on mobile.
Regarding Internet and Device Storage:
Logos mobile apps are highly dependent on your internet connection. Mobile devices often have much less storage space and processing power than traditional computers, so our app “streams” your library resources and search results to your device from our servers. Resources are not stored on the device by default, but you can download resources for offline reading-only; even so, you must have an internet connection for searching the entire library, Passage Guide, and Bible Word Study.
This makes the Logos Bible app a great choice for taking your study on the go; however, if you plan to be offline for an extended period (like on vacation, or going into the mission field in a developing country), or if you need the most powerful study tools, Logos 5 on a laptop would be a better option.
How do I choose what device to get?
The Logos app will work on almost any iOS or Android device (including Amazon’s Kindle Fire series), so it’s really up to you what you want in a tablet. Consider these factors:
- Screen size and resolution
- Processing power and hard drive storage
- Your budget
For more help choosing the right device for you, we recommend searching the web for “tablet buying guide.”
What about the Microsoft Surface?
The Microsoft Surface (and other Windows-based tablets) comes in two varieties: Windows 8 RT, and Windows 8 Pro.
- Windows RT is Microsoft’s mobile operating system, for which we do not have a Logos app.
- Windows 8 Pro is a full version of the operating system, so this is a full computer – just like your Windows desktop or laptop computer, but in a tablet form. As long as it meets our other system requirements, this will run the full Logos Bible Software 5 application.
For Windows RT (and other unsupported mobile systems like Blackberry, Palm, Chromebook, etc.), you can access your Logos resources at Biblia.com.
Can I use Logos on an e-reader?
E-readers are popular with book lovers because the black-and-white “e-ink” screen simulates paper, which is easier on eye fatigue, readable in sunlight, and gets excellent battery life. We don’t currently support Logos on e-readers, but there are some options open to you:
- Use Biblia.com on any e-ink device with a web browser. Log in to Biblia.com with your Logos.com account to access your Library from anywhere.
- Vote for a Send-to-Kindle feature in Logos. This is something we are considering for development in Logos. To lend your support to this idea, please vote for the UserVoice submission, and/or add your comments to this forum thread.
- Look for an e-ink device with a full version of Android, with access to our app via the Google Play Store. Such devices are quite new; several have been released abroad, and will be available in the US soon.