Tabletalk Magazine, December 2006: The Freedom of Forgiveness
Ligonier Ministries 2006
One day, Peter approached Jesus and asked Him, “Lord, how often will my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? As many as seven times?” To which He responded, “I do not say to you seven times, but seventy times seven” (Matt. 18:21–22). In that day, many teachers recommended not more than three times, so Peter might have thought he was being generous. But Jesus’ answer does away with all limits — such is the nature of God’s free forgiveness. Too often in churches today we are more concerned with retribution than wholesale forgiveness, as one look at the fragmented church will show. For this reason, the December 2006 edition of Tabletalk is concerned with forgiveness as a necessary component of healthy church life. This issue will serve to exhort Christians to be as free to forgive as God is with us.
Contributors include R.C. Sproul along with Rich Ganz, Rod Mays, Joseph V. Novenson, Burk Parsons, R.C. Sproul Jr., and Gene Edward Veith. Tabletalk features articles about topics central to the Christian faith and daily, in-depth Bible studies.
The 2006 Bible studies take a careful look at the book of Genesis.
- "Forgiven and Free" by Burk Parsons
- "Why Forgive?" by R. C. Sproul
- "The Gift of Repentance" by Burk Parsons
- "Forgiveness at the Feet of Jesus" by Rich Ganz
- "The Necessity of Reconciliation" by Rod Mays
- "Whose Opinion Really Matters" by Robert Rothwell
- "The Lamb of God" by Derek W. H. Thomas
- "Where is the Lamb?" by Warren A. Gage
- "Falling Short of God's Glory" by Karisa Schlehr
- "Our Identity in Christ" by Kevin Struyk
- "Forgiveness: A Mark of a Healthy Church" by Joseph V. Novenson
- "Christians Aren't Perfect . . ." by R. C. Sproul Jr.
- "Changing the Past" by Gene Edward Veith
Praise for the Print Edition
Tabletalk has been a key ingredient in the diet of Christians conscious of their spiritual vitality.
—Michael S. Horton
Month by month, Tabletalk represents an oasis in a desert of false spirituality, mindless Christianity, and vapid conviction. Tabletalk represents theological rigor, biblical Christianity, and authentic Christian devotion. It is an antidote to the world of superficial Christianity. Read it and grow.
—R. Albert Mohler, Jr.
Tabletalk has been a wonderful resource in my own daily walk with the Lord.
- Title: Tabletalk Magazine, December 2006: The Freedom of Forgiveness
- Executive Editor: R. C. Sproul
- Editor: Burk Parsons
- Series: Tabletalk
- Publisher: Ligonier Ministries
- Publication Date: December 2006
- Pages: 63
About the Editors
R. C. Sproul is founder and president of Ligonier Ministries and president of Ligonier Academy. He also servers as the senior pastor of Saint Andrew’s in Sanford, Fla., and he has written more than seventy books including Defending Your Faith, Abortion: A Rational Look at an Emotional Issue, The Truth of the Cross, Truths We Confess, and commentaries on Romans and John in the Saint Andrew’s Expositional Commentary series.
Burk Parsons serves as editor of Tabletalk and associate pastor of Saint Andrew’s in Sanford, Fla., and he is editor of the books Assured by God: Living in the Fullness of God’s Grace and John Calvin: A Heart for Devotion, Doctrine, and Doxology.