Hard drive prices continue to plummet. I was surprised to notice a couple of days ago that you can now get a 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 desktop hard drive for under $75. The 7200.11 is only $5 more. When I checked a few months ago, they were $110 and $120 respectively.
If youre like me, though, you still manage to find plenty of things to fill up your hard drive with and want to make sure that you dont have unnecessary duplicate content taking up precious space.
Cleaning Up Your Libronix Library
It is likely that you have multiple copies of at least some of your resources on your hard drive. Here are three possible scenarios:
- You have old LLS resources, downloaded the new Libronix ones, and never deleted the old ones.
- You have more than one resources folder, and the same resources have accidentally ended up in more than one of them.
- You manually copied resources to your resources folder and had Windows keep both instead of overwriting or skipping.
If you have the Power Tools Addin, you can easily remove these duplicate resources and free up some hard drive space. (If you dont have it, you can install it by simply running Libronix Update and checking the appropriate box.)
Here are the steps to take for the best experience in removing your duplicate resources:
- Refresh Resources: Go to Tools > Options > General > Resource Paths and click Refresh Resources. Restart Libronix to start the refreshing process. Youll see Discovering Resources in the bottom right-hand corner. It will disappear once the refreshing process is complete.
- Restart Libronix: Once Libronix is done refreshing resources, restart Libronix twice.
- Run the Remove Duplicate Resources Tool: Go to Tools > Library Management > Remove Duplicate Resources, and Libronix will begin scanning your resource paths for any duplicate resources files. You can leave it at Unlocked on Local Drives unless you keep locked resources on your computer.
- Delete the Duplicate Files: When it finishes building the list, youll see that at least one box is checked for each duplicate resource. (You shouldnt need to check any boxes. Libronix will automatically check the boxes for the files that can safely been deleted.) Libronix will keep the newest resource and delete all others. Scan through the list to see what files will be deleted, and then click Delete Files.
Thats it. Enjoy that extra space! :)
Leave a comment