Gender and the Bible Collection (12 vols.)
by 12 authors Mieke Bal, Athalya Brenner, Silvia Schroer, Sophia Bietenhard, J. Cheryl Exum, Judith E. McKinlay, Dan W. Clanton, Carole Fontaine, Esther Fuchs, Claudia V. Camp, Cheryl B. Anderson, Elna K. Solvang
Women play prominent roles in the biblical narrative. Stories of Eve, Sarah, Ruth, Esther, and countless other women are central to the message of the Bible. The women of Scripture raise important questions for modern readers. What do these stories reveal about women in Scripture? What do they reveal about their cultural context? What do they reveal about modern interpretations of Scripture?
This collection draws from a wide range of interdisciplinary scholarship to examine the relationship between gender and the Bible—from Old Testament scholars to critical theorists, from historians to sociologists. The 12-volume Gender and the Bible Collection is devoted to the stories of women in the Bible, as well as matters of interpretation and perspective. The authors examine the social and political roles of women in the Bible, the position in relation to Old Testament law, and prominent women in the biblical narrative, such as Esther and Ruth. The authors also tackle complicated interpretive matters, such as the history and influence of feminist interpretation. This collection contains essential material for pastors preaching on stories of women in Scripture, and for anyone interested in exploring complex matters of interpretation.
With the Logos Bible Software edition, all Scripture references are linked to the original language texts and the English Bible translations in your library. Logos also gives you access to the latest research tools—such as advanced search features, tagging, and linking. With Logos Bible Software, every word is essentially a link, and double-clicking any word—in any language—automatically opens your lexicons and search for a match. For pastors, scholars, and students of the Bible, Logos provides you with an essential tool for reading and researching the text of Scripture.
- Exegesis and commentary on key women in Scripture
- Survey of feminist interpretation
- All Scripture references linked to the Bibles in your library
- Feminist Interpretation of the Bible and the Hermeneutics of Liberation
- Smooth Words: Women, Proverbs, and Performance in Biblical Wisdom
- Sexual Politics in the Biblical Narrative: Reading the Hebrew Bible as a Woman
- Are We Amused? Humour About Women In the Biblical World
- Wise, Strange and Holy: The Strange Woman and the Making of the Bible
- Gendering Wisdom the Host: Biblical Invitations to Eat and Drink
- Plotted, Shot, and Painted: Cultural Representations of Biblical Women
- Anti-Covenant: Counter-Reading Women’s Lives in the Hebrew Bible
- Fragmented Women: Feminist (Sub)versions of Biblical Narratives
- Good, the Bold, and the Beautiful: The Story of Susanna and its Renaissance Interpretations
- Woman’s Place is in the House: Royal Women of Judah and their involvement in the House of David
- Women, Ideology and Violence: The Construction of Gender in the Book of the Covenant and Deuteronomic Law
- Title: Gender and the Bible Collection
- Publisher: T & T Clark International/Sheffield Academic Press
- Volumes: 12
- Pages: 2,884