If you are puzzled by parataxis or rankled by recensions, the Pocket Dictionary of Biblical Studies is the companion you need. Whether you are studying the Old Testament or New Testament, this little book is your private tutor, your ever-ready guide to over 300 biblical-studies terms. Here’s your glossary for reading course textbooks, your decoder for listening to lectures, your review sheet for cramming for finals, and your help key for writing research papers.
Among the terms defined you’ll discover:
- Types of biblical criticism, from genre criticism to tradition criticism
- Greek and Latin terms, from agrapha to vaticinium ex eventu
- German terms, from Frühkatholizismus to Wissenschaft
- Ancient texts, from Aleppo Codex to Zadokite Document
- Literary features, from acrostic to woe oracle
- Theories, from the Augustinian hypothesis to the Yahwist source
- Textual criticism terms, from codex to Western text
Written by Arthur G. Patzia and Anthony J. Petrotta, two biblical studies professors who know what you need to know, Pocket Dictionary of Biblical Studies will be your essential guide into a fascinating world of understanding.
Logos Bible Software dramatically improves the value of this resource by enabling you to find what you’re looking for with unparalleled speed and precision. The Logos edition of Pocket Dictionary of Biblical Studies is completely searchable and will streamline your research time. Designed for students, pastors, and other busy people who want an aid to formal or informal study, this resource will prove to be a priceless addition to your collection.
- Helpful study aid for students of the Old and New Testaments
- Valuable guide for anyone using commentaries or other Bible reference resources
- Offers clear, concise definitions
- Title: Pocket Dictionary of Biblical Studies
- Authors: Arthur G. Patzia and Anthony J. Petrotta
- Series: The IVP Pocket Reference Series
- Publisher: IVP
- Publication Date: 2002
- Pages: 128
About the Authors
Arthur G. Patzia (PhD, McMaster University) is a senior professor of New Testament at Fuller Seminary Northern California.
Anthony J. Petrotta (PhD, University of Sheffield) is an adjunct associate professor in Old Testament at Fuller Seminary Northern California.