Jacob: Discerning God’s Presence: Complete Church Curriculum for Leaders and Pastors
by 7 authors John D. Barry, Douglas Mangum, Miles Custis, Derek R. Brown, Wendy Widder, Logos Bible Software, Scott Lindsey
Logos Bible Software 2013
This is the $84.95 complete church curriculum for leaders and pastors. The version for individuals and group members is available here for $19.95. Both versions feature infographics, maps, thought-provoking questions, “writable” answer boxes, Bible study tips, an annotated reading list, and printable handouts. The complete church curriculum for leaders and pastors includes everything in the individual/group member version plus videos, small group lesson plans, sermon outlines, and teaching slideshows.
Jacob: Discerning God’s Presence helps your entire church dig deeper into the life of Jacob—together.
This all-in-one curriculum package has something for everyone:
- Preaching resources and sermon starters for pastors and teachers
- Videos, slides, and media for the tech team
- Bulletin inserts and handouts for the congregation
- Discussion guides and videos for small group leaders
- A take-home book for small group members available separately for only $9.95 per person
It’s the Best Curriculum for Churches
- Discover new meaning in the life of Jacob. Dig up the nuggets you might have missed. Find the perfect sermon illustrations. Discuss questions you’ve never thought to ask. Infuse your sermons with energy and conviction. Learn new ways to apply Jacob’s story in your life—and in the life of your church.
- Do ministry more effectively. Jacob: Discerning God’s Presence gives you everything you need to hit the ground running—which means less time in meetings and at your desk, and more time doing ministry. You get to focus on your strengths and leave the heavy lifting to us.
- Stay organized. This program helps you coordinate all your ministry programs. With a single, shared curriculum, your media team, small group leaders, Sunday school teachers, and everyone else all stay in the loop. This means fewer phone calls and last-minute surprises for you—and more time in the Word for your church.
- Help your church get connected. Jacob: Discerning God’s Presence connects people in your small groups to each other, and connects your small groups to the Sunday-morning experience. The topics in each small group Bible study integrate with your sermons. Best of all, everything is centered on the Word, so your church gets a complete, shared Bible study experience.
Deeper Bible Study All Week Long
- Leading up to Sunday, you have everything you need to get started on your sermon—a sample outline, key points in the text, exegesis, and more. We’ve done the biblical research for you, so you can focus on preparing your sermon and connecting with your congregation.
- On Sunday morning, video introductions set the stage for your sermon, and custom-designed slides complement your preaching. Your media team has everything they need—the presentation is ready to go right out of the box, but they can customize it as much as they want. Your congregation follows along with handouts and bulletin inserts. Everything flows together elegantly and seamlessly.
- During the following week, your small groups can unpack the text and the topics you talked about on Sunday. The curriculum is perfect for all types of learners and interest levels. Leaders get handouts, videos, and discussion questions to help guide the group, so they’ll need to purchase this edition. Everyone else gets a self-study book available separately that helps them participate to the fullest—and get ready for the next Sunday.
It’s a comprehensive program to help your entire church dig deep into the Bible together.
Jacob: Discerning God’s Presence: Complete Church Curriculum for Leaders and Pastors is available as part of the Studies in Faithful Living Patriarchs Collection: Complete Church Curriculum (3 vols.).
Praise for the Series
Logos has taken group Bible study to the next level with their new Studies in Faithful Living series. Deeply engaging, biblically accurate, and filled with life-changing applications, this series is destined to be the go-to resource for lay leaders for years to come.
—Israel Loken, Chair, Bible and Theology Departments, College of Biblical Studies, Houston, TX
What You’ll Get
- The study book:
- A complete introduction to the life of Jacob
- Reflection questions to keep you focused on the text
- Fill-in-the-blank answer boxes to keep your group engaged
- Recommended resources to help you continue your study
- An elegant design, featuring 32 graphics tied to the commentary—also in slide format
- Presenting/Preaching materials:
- 8 sermon outlines
- 8 sermon handouts
- A video lead-in for your sermon
- 8 teaching slideshows, which work on PowerPoint, Keynote, and Proclaim
- Group curriculum:
- The leader’s book
- 8 lesson plans
- 8 teaching slideshows, which work on PowerPoint, Keynote, and Proclaim
- 8 handouts with discussion questions, in Microsoft Word and PDF
- 8 intro videos, one for each lesson, which you can download after you check out.
The entire program is designed for Logos Bible Software and Logos’ Faithlife Study Bible app. It combines text and visuals with today’s most advanced Bible study tools. All Scripture passages link to your favorite Bible translation and to the original language texts in your library.
Each chapter of Jacob: Discerning God’s Presence is structured to maximize your church’s study:
- Setting the Stage:
- Theme: Introduces the meaning and relevance of an event in Abraham’s life
- Literary Context: Illustrates the conditions surrounding that event
- Historical and Cultural Background: Presents relevant data about the ancient world
- A Closer Look: Gives a walk through of the event while exploring issues of interpretation, original language, and theology
- Throughout the Bible: Examines discussion of the event elsewhere in the Bible
- Beyond the Bible: Treats references to the event in ancient documents and extracanonical texts, as well as references by theologians, the church fathers, and contemporary thinkers
- Application: Concludes the chapter by exploring the event’s relevance to your journey of faith
You’ll also find Quick Tips on difficult passages and Quick Bits of historical information, original language wording, and ancient thought.
- Passing on the Promise (Genesis 24; 25:19–28)
- Birthright and Blessing (Genesis 25:29–34; 27:1–41)
- Dreaming of the Divine (Genesis 27:42–46; 28:1–5, 10–22)
- Hired Help (Genesis 29:1–35; 30:1–24)
- Dueling Deceivers (Genesis 30:25–43; 31:1–55)
- Pleading for Protection (Genesis 32:1–32; 33:1–20)
- A Failed Father (Genesis 34:1–31)
- Renamed and Renewed (Genesis 35:1–29)
About the Editor
John D. Barry is the publisher for Logos Bible Software, editor-in-chief of Bible Study Magazine, general editor of Faithlife Study Bible, and editor of Lexham Bible Dictionary. He is the author of The Resurrected Servant in Isaiah and the coauthor of Connect the Testaments: A Daily Devotional and Mary: Devoted to God’s Plan.
About the Authors
Derek R. Brown is a contributing editor at Logos Bible Software. He holds a PhD in New Testament Studies and Christian Origins from the University of Edinburgh and a Masters of Christians Studies in New Testament Studies from Regent College.
Miles Custis is the author of The End of the Matter: Understanding the Epilogue of Ecclesiastes, a Faithlife Study Bible contributing editor, and a regular Bible Study Magazine and Lexham Bible Dictionary contributor. He holds a Master of Arts in Biblical Studies from Trinity Western University.
Douglas Mangum is a PhD candidate in Near Eastern studies at the University of Free State; he holds a Master of Arts in Hebrew and Semitic Studies from the University of Wisconsin–Madison. He is a Lexham English Bible editor, a Faithlife Study Bible contributing editor, a regular Bible Study Magazine contributor, and a frequently consulted specialist for the Lexham Bible Dictionary.
Wendy Widder holds a PhD in Near Eastern studies from the University of the Free State, an MA in Hebrew and Semitic Studies from the University of Wisconsin–Madison, and an MDiv from Grand Rapids Theological Seminary. She is the author of Living Whole without a Better Half, A Match Made in Heaven: How Singles and the Church Can Live Happily After, and the coauthor of The Forest and the Trees: Helping Teachers Integrate a Biblical Worldview Across the Curriculum.
About the Series
The Studies in Faithful Living series examines the lives of biblical characters who responded faithfully to God’s call. Combining narrative analysis with infographics, maps, and questions for reflection, each volume explores key events in these characters’ lives, combining the depth you expect from a biblical commentary with application and teaching insights. Each volume is available as an individual/group member version or as a complete church curriculum version for pastors/teachers.
- Title: Jacob: Discerning God’s Presence: Complete Church Curriculum for Leaders and Pastors
- Authors: Derek R. Brown, Miles Custis, Douglas Mangum, and Wendy Widder
- Editor: John D. Barry
- Series: Studies in Faithful Living
- Publisher: Logos Bible Software
- Publication Date: 2013