Tabletalk Magazine, January 2007: The Mortification of Sin
Ligonier Ministries 2007
We know that the one who has died in Christ has been set free from the old master, sin (Rom. 6:7). Nonetheless, we battle against the flesh, and our new master calls us to put to death the sin that lurks deep within us. Perfectionism is not an option, for no portion of Scripture teaches that we can become sinless before our glorification. Neither is carnal Christianity an option. Jesus and His apostles everywhere assume that the grace of God does not leave people where it finds them; rather, the Spirit works in us, and we along with Him, to mortify our sin and sanctify our lives. This January 2007 issue of Tabletalk aims to encourage our readers to take up the charge to put to death those base, sinful desires of the heart (Col. 3:5).
ontributors include R.C. Sproul along with Sinclair B. Ferguson, Kris Lundgaard, Joseph A. Pipa Jr., R.C. Sproul Jr., Gene Edward Veith, and Eric B. Watkins. Tabletalk features articles about topics central to the Christian faith and daily, in-depth Bible studies.
Since Genesis has such a prominent place in history, the 2007 Bible studies continue from 2006 with Part 2 of this book.
- "A Matter of Life and Death" by Burk Parsons
- "Cosmic Treason" by R. C. Sproul
- "With Malice Aforethought" by Kris Lundgaard
- "The Practice of Mortification" by Sinclair B. Ferguson
- "Set Free to Die" by Joseph A. Pipa Jr.
- "Hold the Fire and Brimstone, Please" by Burk Parsons
- "Dying Well" by Derek W. H. Thomas
- "A Bride for Isaac" by Warren A. Gage
- "Family Covenant" by John M. Duncan
- "A Communion of Confession" by Eric B. Watkins
- "Fire and Rain" by R. C. Sproul Jr.
- "Feeling Good About Ourselves" by Gene Edward Veith
Praise for the Print Edition
Tabletalk has been a key ingredient in the diet of Christians conscious of their spiritual vitality.
—Michael S. Horton
Month by month, Tabletalk represents an oasis in a desert of false spirituality, mindless Christianity, and vapid conviction. Tabletalk represents theological rigor, biblical Christianity, and authentic Christian devotion. It is an antidote to the world of superficial Christianity. Read it and grow.
—R. Albert Mohler, Jr.
Tabletalk has been a wonderful resource in my own daily walk with the Lord.
- Title: Tabletalk Magazine, January 2007: The Mortification of Sin
- Executive Editor: R. C. Sproul
- Editor: Burk Parsons
- Series: Tabletalk
- Publisher: Ligonier Ministries
- Publication Date: January 2007
- Pages: 63
About the Editors
R. C. Sproul is founder and president of Ligonier Ministries and president of Ligonier Academy. He also servers as the senior pastor of Saint Andrew’s in Sanford, Fla., and he has written more than seventy books including Defending Your Faith, Abortion: A Rational Look at an Emotional Issue, The Truth of the Cross, Truths We Confess, and commentaries on Romans and John in the Saint Andrew’s Expositional Commentary series.
Burk Parsons serves as editor of Tabletalk and associate pastor of Saint Andrew’s in Sanford, Fla., and he is editor of the books Assured by God: Living in the Fullness of God’s Grace and John Calvin: A Heart for Devotion, Doctrine, and Doxology.