Tabletalk Magazine, April 2008: The Three Forms of Unity
Ligonier Ministries 2008
The Three Forms of Unity are the historic creeds of the Reformed churches developed during the sixteenth century Protestant Reformation. These are especially associated with those of the Dutch Reformed tradition, and comprise the theme of the April 2008 issue of Tabletalk. In an effort to help our readers learn more about these creeds, this issue will focus on the historical occasions and main point and purpose of each of the Three Forms. This issue must not, however, read like a scholarly treatise on historical theology. While we do wish to heighten the church’s awareness on these important creeds, we desire to do it through a careful, yet approachable, analysis of the Three Forms as well as to encourage believers to incorporate them into their life and worship.
Contributors include R.C. Sproul along with Lyle D. Bierma, R. Scott Clark, Joshua Harris, Keith A. Mathison, Richard D. Phillips, Kim Riddlebarger, R.C. Sproul Jr., Gene Edward Veith, and Cornelis P. Venema. Tabletalk features articles about topics central to the Christian faith and daily, in-depth Bible studies.
The 2008 Bible studies examines the gospel of Matthew and the Redeemer who saves His people from their sins.
- "Norma Normata: A Rule That is Ruled" by R. C. Sproul
- "The Belgic Confession: by Cornelis P. Venema
- "The Heidelberg Catechism" by Lyle D. Bierma
- "The Canons of Dordt" by R. Scott Clark
- "Trust and Obey" by Kevin Struyk
- "Portraits of Jesus" by Joel R. Beeke
- "Jesus' Healing Ministry" by Jerry Bridges
- "Lessons from Nature" by Tom Ascol
- "Pastor's Perspective" by Kim Riddlebarger
- "Pro Ecclesia: For the Church: by Richard D. Phillips
- "Generation to Generation: by Joshua Harris
- "Tolle Lege: Take Up and Read" by Keith A. Mathison
- "Seek Ye First" by R. C. Sproul Jr.
- "Truth and Consequences" by Gene Edward Veith
Praise for the Print Edition
Tabletalk has been a key ingredient in the diet of Christians conscious of their spiritual vitality.
—Michael S. Horton
Month by month, Tabletalk represents an oasis in a desert of false spirituality, mindless Christianity, and vapid conviction. Tabletalk represents theological rigor, biblical Christianity, and authentic Christian devotion. It is an antidote to the world of superficial Christianity. Read it and grow.
—R. Albert Mohler, Jr.
Tabletalk has been a wonderful resource in my own daily walk with the Lord.
- Title: Tabletalk Magazine, April 2008: The Three Forms of Unity
- Executive Editor: R. C. Sproul
- Editor: Burk Parsons
- Series: Tabletalk
- Publisher: Ligonier Ministries
- Publication Date: April 2008
- Pages: 83
About the Editors
R. C. Sproul is founder and president of Ligonier Ministries and president of Ligonier Academy. He also servers as the senior pastor of Saint Andrew’s in Sanford, Fla., and he has written more than seventy books including Defending Your Faith, Abortion: A Rational Look at an Emotional Issue, The Truth of the Cross, Truths We Confess, and commentaries on Romans and John in the Saint Andrew’s Expositional Commentary series.
Burk Parsons serves as editor of Tabletalk and associate pastor of Saint Andrew’s in Sanford, Fla., and he is editor of the books Assured by God: Living in the Fullness of God’s Grace and John Calvin: A Heart for Devotion, Doctrine, and Doxology.