Tabletalk Magazine, April 2009: The Church in the 9th Century
Ligonier Ministries 2009
For more than thirty years, Tabletalk has existed as a magazine for laymen. Generally speaking, laymen receive either very little instruction in the weightier matters of the faith, or the instruction is far too academic, thereby making the material largely inaccessible to average person. This is the reason Tabletalk exists — to bridge the gap between these two poles, to explain to the people of God important, biblical doctrines and events while admonishing them toward holy living.
For this reason, we will continue our ongoing series on the history of the church, which, in the April 2009 issue, focuses on the ninth century. While by no means intended to provide a complete history of this century, this issue of Tabletalk aims to present several of its highlights by exploring its historical, theological, and practical ramifications.
Contributors include R.C. Sproul along with Tim Challies, Steven J. Lawson, Kris Lundgaard, Keith A. Mathison, Larry G. Mininger, R.C. Sproul Jr., Bishop Rimbert, and Gene Edward Veith. Tabletalk features articles about topics central to the Christian faith and daily, in-depth Bible studies.
The 2009 Bible studies look at the apostle Paul’s life and thought in a study of the books the frame his career: Galatians, the very first letter he wrote, and 1 and 2 Timothy and Titus, the last epistles to come from him.
- "The Word of God in the Hands of Man" by R. C. Sproul
- "Gottschalk: Standing on Augustine’s Shoulders" by Steven J. Lawson
- "The Meal that Divides" by Keith A. Mathison
- "Anskar The Apostle of the North" by Bishop Rimbert
- "The War Inside" by Tom Ascol
- "Sowing and Reaping" by Terry L. Johnson
- "Boasting in His Shame" by John P. Sartelle
- "The Cause and the Effect" by Kim Riddleburger
- "Pastor’s Perspective" by Kris Lundgaard
- "Pro Ecclesia: For the Church" by Larry G. Mininiger
- "Generation to Generation" by Time Challies
- "Tolle Lege: Take Up and Read" by Keith A. Mathison
- "Seek Ye First" by R. C. Sproul Jr.
- "Truth and Consequences" by Gene Edward Veith
Praise for the Print Edition
Tabletalk has been a key ingredient in the diet of Christians conscious of their spiritual vitality.
—Michael S. Horton
Month by month, Tabletalk represents an oasis in a desert of false spirituality, mindless Christianity, and vapid conviction. Tabletalk represents theological rigor, biblical Christianity, and authentic Christian devotion. It is an antidote to the world of superficial Christianity. Read it and grow.
—R. Albert Mohler, Jr.
Tabletalk has been a wonderful resource in my own daily walk with the Lord.
- Title: Tabletalk Magazine, April 2009: The Church in the 9th Century
- Executive Editor: R. C. Sproul
- Editor: Burk Parsons
- Series: Tabletalk
- Publisher: Ligonier Ministries
- Publication Date: April 2009
- Pages: 83
About the Editors
R. C. Sproul is founder and president of Ligonier Ministries and president of Ligonier Academy. He also servers as the senior pastor of Saint Andrew’s in Sanford, Fla., and he has written more than seventy books including Defending Your Faith, Abortion: A Rational Look at an Emotional Issue, The Truth of the Cross, Truths We Confess, and commentaries on Romans and John in the Saint Andrew’s Expositional Commentary series.
Burk Parsons serves as editor of Tabletalk and associate pastor of Saint Andrew’s in Sanford, Fla., and he is editor of the books Assured by God: Living in the Fullness of God’s Grace and John Calvin: A Heart for Devotion, Doctrine, and Doxology.