The Reading and Preaching of the Scriptures in the Worship of the Christian Church, Volume 6: The Modern Age
This sixth volume, The Modern Age, tells the story from the French Revolution to the fall of the Berlin Wall (1789–1989). During this time preaching continued to support its historic faith while the church undertook to resist secularization, come to grips with biblical criticism, and initiate bold overseas missions.
Opening with the revived Catholic Order of Preachers, Abraham Kuyper, and Friedrich Schleiermacher, Old moves on to consider John Henry Newman and Charles Haddon Spurgeon. He then carefully examines the evangelical Calvinism of New England, as well as the beginnings of black preaching and the great American school of Charles Finney, Dwight L. Moody, and Harry Emerson Fosdick. In the twentieth century Old’s focus falls on the crises of the two world wars, especially the courageous ministries of German, Dutch, and Hungarian preachers during the Third Reich.
Praise for the Print Edition
Studying these volumes is like walking around a great cathedral [. . . ] every section, however distinctive, unites in a grand design whose aim is to restore preaching to its rightful place. This multivolume work is easily the best history of preaching ever written, one that will serve generations of those whose faith comes by hearing.
—William Edgar, Westminster Theological Seminary
Old has bequeathed to the church of the twenty–first century the definitive history of preaching, a spiritual feast for scholars and preachers alike for years and years to come.
—James F. Kay, Princeton Theological Seminary
- Title: The Reading and Preaching of the Scriptures in the Worship of the Christian Church, Volume 6: The Modern Age
- Author: Hughes Oliphant Old
- Series: The Complete Works of Andrew Fuller
- Publisher: Eerdmans
- Publication Date: 2007
- Pages: 997
About Hughes Oliphant Old
Hughes Oliphant Old is John H. Leith Professor of Reformed Theology and Dean of the Institute for Reformed Worship, Erskine Theological Seminary, Columbia, South Carolina.