Life in the Face of Death: The Resurrection Message of the New Testament
Life is for living, but there is also a dark side of life—the mocking specter of death that permeates every facet of human activity and invades every corner of our consciousness. But death is not the final chapter for the people of God. The New Testament proclaims a message of resurrection life that is victorious over death. This volume, written by eleven first-class scholars, brings into focus the resurrection message of the New Testament. Much more than just biblical exposition, these essays demonstrate how the resurrection both provides the basis for joyful living now despite the shadow of death and undergirds the Christian belief in a future after death.
Contributions to this volume include:
- "Life, Death, and the Afterlife in the Ancient Near East," Edwin Yamauchi
- "Life, Death, and the Afterlife in the Greco-Roman World," Peter G. Bolt
- "Life, Death, and the Afterlife in Second Temple Judaism," Richard Bauckham
- "Gospel, Kingdom, and Resurrection in the Synoptic Gospels," Donald A. Hagner
- "'I am the Resurrection and the Life:' The Resurrection Message of the Fourth Gospel," Andrew T. Lincoln
- "Resurrection and Immortality in the Pauline Corpus," Murray J. Harris
- "Is There Development in Paul's Resurrection Thought?" Richard N. Longenecker
- "Resurrection and the Christian Life in Paul's Letters," G. Walter Hansen
- "'Witnesses of His Resurrection:' Resurrection, Salvation, Discipleship, and Mission in the Acts of the Apostles," Joel B. Green
- "Living the Life of Faith in the Face of Death: The Witness of Hebrews," William L. Lane
- "Witness and the Resurrection in the Apocalypse of John," Allison A. Trites
Praise for the Print Edition
This book provides a gold mine of information to anybody who is interested in the theme of death and resurrection as it is described and treated in the New Testament. . . . The information is treated and presented in a responsible way, which makes the book reliable and therefore a valuable tool for research.
—Jan G. van der Watt, Review of Biblical Literature
If you thought scholarly discussions could not be edifying, this book proves you wrong. In keeping with the stated purpose of this series, this book attempts to bridge the gap between academic study and the life of the church. It does an admirable job of both. There is a wealth of information and discussion, but there is an impressive pastoral bent to many of the chapters.
- Title: Life in the Face of Death: The Resurrection Message of the New Testament
- Editor: Richard N. Longenecker
- Publisher: Eerdmans
- Publication Date: 1998
- Pages: 324
About Richard N. Longenecker
A prominent New Testament scholar, Richard N. Longenecker served as Distinguished Professor of New Testament at McMaster Divinity College and taught for many years at Wycliffe College in the University of Toronto. He is now retired. His education includes B.A. and M.A. degrees from Wheaton College, and a Ph.D. from New College in the University of Edinburgh. He was also honored with a D.D. from Wycliffe College. Author of numerous books, his volume of Word Biblical Commentary, Volume 41: Galatians is currently available for download. He is presently working on a major commentary on Paul's Epistle to the Romans, to be published in the New International Greek Testament Commentary series.